Friday, March 12, 2010

Fabric flower pins


While visiting my daughter, who is a S.U. demonstrator, we created some of the flower pins we've been noticing on other blogs. Here are a few of the flower pins we created using S.U. #2 circle die, cutting anywhere from 3-4 circles each per fabric (depending upon the thickness and type of fabric). We punched a hole in the center of all pieces, inserted a brad and then...yep, used a heat gun to (sort of) melt the fabric! Different results occur from different blends of material, but definitely polyester blends "burn" better. When we were happy with the results we attached a jewelry pin on top of a matching piece of felt and glued it to the back of the flower pin. Almost forgot, after "burning" the flower pin we added a "scrunch" of tulle netting and lightly burned that as well. Just gave the pin a little more "cha-ching". On some of the pins we added a vintage earring to the center, kinda cute don't ya think? Something to do with those "lost one earring" jewelry pieces!

We also made a few flower pins similar to many found on other blogs using SU Bigz "XL Flower Folds" die. We used only the 2 smaller size flowers and cut either 3 or 4 of each size depending on the thickness of the fabric. We alternated fabric patterns as well as adding some tulle netting to "jazz" 'em up a bit.
We thought they look pretty cute, hope you enjoy them too, thanks for looking.

2 comments:

Nance said...

Great job, Mom! So happy to see you here in blogland! It was great having you visit with us this last week--one of the best spring breaks ever :-)

Diane said...

Nancy! So excited for you to have a blog. Now you can show off all that talent in Blogland. I LOVE the Name and your background. Your pins came out FABULOUS. I know you had a blast with your girls, but I still miss you and can't wait to see you soon at golfing. Congrats on your blog.